BACK TO INDEX
Pickles Families of Colne, Trawden and Wycoller
Obituary Nelson Leader 6th October 1888
DEATH OF MR.HENRY PICKLES
On Sunday evening last, Mr.Henry Pickles, a gentleman well known and much respected throughout the town of Colne and neighbourhood, died at his country residence of Acraplatts, Malhamdale. He was a man pre-eminently distinguished for integrity and thorough business probity. He was a native of Colne. His father, Joseph Pickles, was a hand-loom weaver and draper in a small way of business at Caul, Waterside, who by energy and perseverance, prospered and increased his business so that he required new premises and removed to Colne Lane, his son Henry being the principal assistant.
The father, Joseph Pickles, died somewhat suddenly in Colne Lane, and at that time Mr.Henry Pickles and the remainder of the family looked after the business. John died and William, who had been apprenticed to the tin trade, went back and assisted in the business, but the life and soul of it was Henry, who worked methodically and not by leaps and bounds, and gradually added to it. The shop was by degrees enlarged and Henry, at the time, lived behind the shop. He lived here until he bought the property at Stanley Villa from the late Mr. Noah Smith.
In the early part of his career, when hand-loom weaving was so much in vogue, he employed a number of hand-loom weavers, and shortly afterwards the introduction of the power-loom quite revolutionised the old hand-loom weaving, but so long as it lasted Mr.Pickles retained his weavers, never parting with them until separated by death. He was a most indefatigable worker, temperate, and frugal, and like Old Adam in Shakespeare possessed in youth the promise of a frosty but kindly old age. His temperate habits and frugal life laid the foundation of a sound and healthy constitution.
The business has now been carried on in its present premises for 50 years, and about 20 years ago Mr.Pickles found it necessary to take in a partner, and Mr.W.Holmes joined the business, the firm still continuing to be carried on in the same name. It has largely grown and now takes on more of the character of a wholesale Manchester wharehouse, for it supplies the shopkeepers of the district whilst still retaining its retail character. Mr.Pickles was very proud of relating his early struggles and how he faced and overcame all his early difficulties. He used to attend the Manchester market as his own buyer in those early days when travelling was not so convenient as now. He would get up early and meet the 6’clock coach from Burnley to Manchester, for there were no railways in those days, and sometimes he was compelled to go the whole distance on foot. He was accustomed to relate with great glee how on several occasions, when there was no room to accommodate him on the coach, he was fain to take refuge in the “boot”, but being young, sturdy and healthy he could face inconvenience and difficulties which would be insuperable to the youth of the present day.
But it was not simply to Manchester as buyer that his most celebrated journeys were made, but he was in the habit, in fact he was compelled, for there was no other means of locomotion open then, to take periodical journeys across the Yorkshire Moors. He was accustomed in the course of his business to cross the Huddersfield Hills through Hebden Bridge, taking all the Yorkshire towns and villages on the way. These journeys were undertaken on foot, and he had many pleasant reminiscences to tell of them. Of course it need hardly be said that he has amassed wealth, but it has been acquired by no hazardous venture but in the way of honest business. He has not been unmindful in his success of the struggle of others, for his assistance was never withheld in a case of distress.
He is the owner of a large amount of cottage properties in Colne. Some time ago he bought farms in Earby, and about 9 years ago he bought the estate where he died, at Accraplatts, and where he was in the habit of spending the summer months of the year. His last purchase, some 4 years ago, was called Wenning Side. Mr. Pickles always took an active interest in the local affairs of Colne, and before the establishment of the Local Board, he had a large share in the government of the town . He was a member of the old Highway Board and also acted as overseer for several years. He was a large share-holder in the old Water Company, and with Mr. Richard Sagar had a very active share in the old Gas Company previous to their transfer to the Local Board. He was one of the share-holders and a director of the Stone Bridge Mill and also one of the original promoters of the Holling Hall Company, Trawden. He took a warm interest and was a very active supporter of the educational institutions of the town. Irrespective of creed or politics, and his generous disposition and cheerful pecuniary help in promoting any philanthropic effort was prominent and marked and a matter of common notoriety. If there was a good work to be done he was a willing helper, and the poor and the aged have lost in him a generous friend and kind benefactor. He will be especially missed by his poorer pensioners, who will lose the personal administration of his bounty.
He attended the Albert Road Weslyan Chapel, and although not a member, he was a munificent supporter of its funds as well as those of other denominations, and there is not a religious or charitable but shows marks of his benevolence and care. He was also a munificent contributor to the erection of the George Street Weslyan Day School and was an active member of the building committee. He also paid one half of the debt on the Chapel, and in other ways shewed his sympathy with good works. He was a manager of the Waterside National School and a trustee of the George Street Day School.
He was Liberal in politics, but he was never associated with any political movement and made no outward demonstration of his opinions, except recording his vote. He never intruded his politics or his religion into his charity, but impartiality to all. He died of inflamation of the lungs produced by a chill he got a few days before his death which brought on an attack of pneumonia, from the effects of which he died.
He was of a very active habit of body and was out the Wednesday before he died, his death occurring on Sunday evening at 9 o’clock. He will be buried today (Friday) at 2 o’clock in the family vault at the Weslyan Chapel. A notification was issued asking that all tradesmen who wished to join the procession in order to shew a tribute to his memory, should meet at the Grammar School and go to Stanley Villa and accompany the funeral cortege.
Nelson Leader 13th October 1888:
FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR. HENRY PICKLES
On Friday afternoon the funeral of the late Mr. Henry Pickles, of Colne, took place in the family vault at the Weslyan Chapel, Albert Road. The funeral, in accordance with the wishes of the deceased, was conducted in a plain and unassuming manner, and there was no outward demonstration save that which was prompted by the good feeling of the inhabitants, towards an old and respected citizen. The cortege left the residence of the deceased, Stanley Villa, at 1-50, and not only along the route, but throughout the entire town, all the shutters were closed and every blind down, testifying to the unanimity of the feeling of respect which permeated the entire community. The tradesmen of the town, including the members of the Local Board,, the directors of the Building Society, &c, assembled at the Grammar School and marched to the residence of the deceased under the marshalship of Mr.Le Gendre Haighton. Amongst those present we noticed Messrs. Wm.Duxbury, John Pilling, T.Whittaker, S.Greenwood, R.W.Hartley, M.Haworth, T.A.Hirst, J.Lonsdale, L.G.Haighton, J.Green, I.Watson, H.B.Carey, Wm. Hewitt, J.Smith, S.Cook Atkinson, C.Duckworth, J.Clegg, W.Smith Long Preston, J.Stansfield, W.Croasdale, T.Witworth, W.Wilkinson, D.Pilling, L.Wildman, Lot Dixon, G.Dyson, W.Mallinson, Alf Varley, J.Baldwin, E.W.Crabtree, C.Tatham, R.Nutter, R.Bateman, S.Farrelly, S.N.Petty, W.H.Duerden, D.Parker, R.Eastwood, J.Hey, R.Lonsdale, T.Grey, J.Hey, Caleb Duckworth, J.Duckworth, A.Gibson, W.Smith, Rev R.Botterill, Frank Richmond, Holmes Wiggan, Walter Bracewell, W.Bradshaw & Co.
This procession formed in front, and the hearse and mourning carriages followed. The road was kept clear by a body of police under Supt. Brassington and Serg. Parkinson. The first carriage contained Rev I.Pollit, superintendent of of the Weslyan Circuit: Mr.J.Carr, solicitor: and Mr. J.P.Clarke, undertaker. Then followed the hearse, flanked by the bearers, all employees of the deceased:- Messrs. Thos.Mawson, Thos. Dugdale, Joseph Green, Wm.Brown, Jno.Bean and Richard Davy. The first carriage following the hearse contained Mr.J.H.Pickles (nephew) and Mr. May (brother-in-law): second carriage, Mr.Wm. Holmes, Mr. Walton and Mr.Henry M.Walton; third carriage Mr.Harry Walker, Mr.Smith Smith and Mr.S Catlow: fourth carriage Mr.John Varley and Mr. W.Gill (undertaker): fifth carriage Mr. Stephen Batty, Mr. Richard Hartley, Mr. John Parker and Mr. Richard Hartley, Mr. John Parker and Mr. John Smith old farm tenants of the deceased. Mr.Shaw’s carriage and Mr. S Catlow’s carriage brought up the rear.
The Weslyan Chapel, the chapel-yard and all the approaches were crowded with spectators. The funeral service was read in the chapel by the Revs. Isaac Pollitt and W. Wakeley, and at the grave by Rev. Pollitt. The coffin was a very handsome one of entire oak with very plain massive brass fittings. It was in exquisite taste, and was made by Mr. Gill. It bore the inscription on a handsome plain plate:- “Henry Pickles, born 12th May 1814: died 30th September 1888”. The coffin was covered by beautiful wreaths- one from Mr.William Walton and Mr.H.M.Walton, another from Miss J.E.Mancknowles and from Miss ward and Miss Smith, Mr.J.H.Pickles, and Mr.& Mrs. Smith Smith. The funeral was conducted under the superintendence of Mr.J.P.Clarke, undertaker.
Will of Henry pickles of Stanley Villas, Colne – 1886
All those his copyhold stables, croft and cottages in Colne Lane and ALL his copyhold shop,warehouse and cottages at waterside to the use and intent that William Bradshaw then Out Porter in the services of his firm at Waterside should receive during his lifetime charge of £52 and subject thereto in respect of his warehouses at Waterside to the provision in favour of William Walton to the use of his nephew Joseph Henry pickles, Hatter of Market street, Colne.
And after bequeathing to William Walton, Ironmonger, absolutely the goodwill of his business as a draper then carried on by the Testator at Waterside and all the capital stock-in-trade etc. he declared it should be lawful for William Walton to occupy rent free for any period not exceeding 3 years from the time of his death for purposes of realising etc. of said business and until he should have realised the same, all or part of shop, warehouse and premises at Waterside and the dwelling houses adjacent.
Said Henry pickles by surrender from William Lister Sagar, William John and Robert Midgeley and Richard Bolton of 1st oct 1845 became fined and seized of (inter alia):-
ALL that messuage, cottage and dwelling house long since converted into two and formerly in occupation of Samuel Tillotson and Mary Hartley, Widow. Also one barn with several then newly erected houses adjacent or near the same formerly in occupation of William Lonsdale and John Duerden. Also one close of meadow ground adjacent and a small garden at the top of the same containing one acre, formerly in occupation of John craven after of Thomas Wilkinson as Steward of the Methodist Society and then William Walton, all in Colne Lane.
ALL that close formerly the estate of John Clayton and after John Parr on west side of Colne Lane, late in occupation of Thomas Lonsdale and after of Stephen Peel and then William Walton (excepting part of road comprised in a surrender of 25th April 1781 made by Lister Sagar to William Sagar, Abraham Brandland and others and excepting also a reserve to William Lister sagar out of the above indenture ALL that parcel of ground then used as a garden bounded on the north by the premises therefore excepted on west close of land then the estate of Bannister Walton and on south-east by hereditors hereby surrendered and then continued from west to east on north side then in occupation of Francis Blakey and Samuel Chadwick).
All those dwelling houses and closes were then better known as 75 – 83 Colne Lane, 1-8 Pickles Place, 8 Essex Street, 104-106 Colne Lane, 4 – 11 Croft Terrace, 10 – 13 Back Croft Terrace, 12 – 16 Waterside Road, 2 & 3 Whitaker Square, 1 Bank Street, 2 – 14 Bank Terrace North and 1 – 14 Bank terrace South
Abstract of title of William Nutter Stansfield and John Ridehalgh, the Trustees of the will of Joseph Henry Pickles deceased reciting 1886 the will of Henry Pickles of Stanley Villas, Colne, and of Acraplatts in Kirby Malham, West Riding of Yorkshire. Estates devised to his nephew Joseph Henry Pickles, Hatter of market Street, Colne:-
1889 finding Henry Pickles fined and seized of 62 – 72 Colne Lane and 1 –5 and 9 – 11 Chapel Fold and also that close of meadow land called Chapel Meadow and continuous according to the late survey of Colne in the occupation of William Walton.
By surrender of 30 Oct 1878 from Sarah Shackleton and William Heap of ALL those 2 single dwelling houses with the pantry thereto belonging at the top of Waterside and facing up Colne Lane then in occupation of William Whitaker and John Barker, that occupied by William Whitaker adjacent to that surrendered on same day to Reuben Schofield and then occupied by William Gregson
By surrender on 10th july 1849 from Thomas Greenwood ALL those 2 dwelling houses at the top of Colne Waterside lately in occupation of Henry Lee but then of Holmes Whalley with the cellar on south side and another on north side, then also occupied by Henry Lee but after by Hannah Waddington adjacent premises then lately purchased by Ellis Stuttard and also ALL those 2 dwelling houses at the top of Colne waterside with the gardens adjacent in the front then latterly in occupation of Robert Duxbury and John Lee but then of Hannah Waddington and Thomas Hitchen.
By surrender of 5th November 1850 from Robert Rushton ALL those 3 newly erected dwelling houses in Colne Waterside then formerly in occupation of Robert Hartley, Mary Hind and Elizabeth pollard lately occupied as two tenements.
All those 2 dwelling houses in Colne Waterside formerly in occupation of James Haworth and James Slater and then Robert Thornton and the other unoccupied being then in a delapidated condition, with a right of road or foot to and from the said cottages on the north or back side of the shop, dwelling houses and premises occupied by Henry Pickles into the highway from Waterside to Colne.
By surrender of 3rd May 1878 from William and Thomas Heaton of ALL that dwelling house opposite or near to Buck Spout in Waterside formerly occupied by Jonathan Catlow after Hartley Heaton.
By surrender of 21st April 1871 from Betty and John Schofield and John Pilling ALL those 3 dweling houses with a vacant piece of ground at the west or south-west situate at the “top of the hill” in Waterside, two formerly in occupation of Mary Morville and James Firth and the other empty, but then of Mary Morville, James Thornton and one empty.
By surrender of 31st Dec 1869 from Richard Sagar and Haworth sagar and Rebecca his wife ALL those 3 dwelling houses and Smithy, with the workshop over the latter, and yard, outbuildings etc. in Waterside formerly occupied by William Jackson but then late of Thomas Jackson and his undertenants William Smith, Robert Scaif and John Mally.
By surrender of 11 Aug 1857 from Joseph, Elizabeth and Adam Waller ALL that plot portion of a close called Bank, part of an estate there the property of Robert Midgeley and William Sagar and another portion of thje estate herefore surrendered to James Whalley. And ALL those 13 dwelling houses erected and built by Joseph Waller thereon then or late in occupation of Joseph Waller, Robert Crawshaw, Henry Whitehead, William Kendal, Robert Whitaker, James Holgate, James Shoesmith, Emanuel Greenwood, John Moore, Atkinson Hartley and Robert Parkinson and two empty subject to rent of £1/1s – premises subject to payment of £400 to Henry Pickles on redemption.
By surrender of 15th July 1866 from William Varley and Abraham Duerden: assignees duly approved by N.M.Court of Bankruptcy of the estate and effects of John Waller then a bankrupt to the use and behalf of Henry Pickles by virtue of a surrender by Henry Dixon and Elizabeth.
All those 8 dwelling houses in Bank terrace late occupied by Edmund Smith, John Bradshaw, Mary Redman, Alexander Bartle, Hartley Hindle, Anthony Baldwin, John Greenwood and Maria Whalley but then of Edmund Smith, Joseph Catlow, James Buchanan, Hargreaves Spencer, Hartley Hindle, Hannah Baldwin, John Greenwood, Thomas Smith all which premises were then some time ago erected upon a plot formerly a close of meadow land called ‘The Bank’ and added to the road at Colne Waterside.
By surrender 11th June 1874 from William Midgeley and William Carr ALL those dwelling houses on west side of Colne Lane and near to the old Methodist Chapel there with the stable adjacent and then formerly occupied as a barn and garden and the buildings and outbuildings belonging, then occupied by Robert Varley, James Stuttard, Martha Pickles, Jabey Stuttard, Henry Pickles, Nancy Laycock, Mary Halstead, Widow Foulds, Messrs. Shaw and Phillips and William Walton.
From later wills of Pickles family:
May 1936 Compensation paid for Ext. Manorial Incidents on numbers: 62,64,66,68,70,72,74 Colne Lane and numbers: 1,2,3,4,5 Chapel Fold and numbers: 9,10,11 Chapel Fold and their sites to £13/18s
October 1939 William Stansfield and James Ridehalgh pay Colne Corporation £150 for all of the above property.
11December 1944 Colne Corporation pay Caleb DuckworthLtd, of Colne Lane, Fruit Preservers and Jam Manufacturers, £250 for premises.
1948 Robert Edward Cattle, Painter & Decorator, owned 76 Colne Lane, this was left standing when others were demolished.
14th June 1976 Pendle District Council pay Margaret Sarah Lever of 76 Colne Lane £45 for ALL that plot adjacent to 76 Colne Lane of 234 square yards.
Short pedigree of Pickles families of Trawden and Waterside, Colne.
Chritopher Pighells (Pightel means ‘small enclosure’) born 15--? Trawden. Also Pighells family at Slackhead. Had:
Dtr Isabella b 1613
Dtr Grace b 1615 (died)
Dtr Grace b 1616
Son John b 1621
Dtr Anna b 1623
Dtr Elizabeth b 1627
Son Robert b1631 of Thornedge, Trawden had:
Dtr Grace b 1671 Had:
Son Joseph b 1688 Had:
Son Robert b 1708 = in 1746 Ellen Hartley: They had 4 children all born at Wycoller Dene ie:
Dtr Mary b 1747 = in 1787 Robert at Thornedge, Trawden
Son Robert b 1749 stone mason = Mary and had 2 sons, John b 1792 at Wycoller and Ann b 1797 at Colne
Son Joseph a farmer at Trawden and Wycoller = Sarah and had William b 1783 (= Alice and had son Henry , Joseph b 1785, Jane b 1787, John b 1789, Alice b 1792, Hartley b 1794 and Robert b 1798
Son Henry of Wycoller & Trawden b 1756 = Mary: They had:
Son Joseph b 1783 a hand–loom weaver of Caul, Waterside = Grace*
Son John b 1786
Son Robert b 1787weaver of Wycoller and Caul = Jennet and had son Henry b 1808, son John b 1810 and son Robert b 1812 ( John & Robt. Died in 1812)
Son Edmund b 1789
Dtr Mary b 1790
Dtr Sarah b 1792
Son William b 1794
Son Thomas b 1796
*Joseph founded drapery business at Colne = Grace: They had:
Son Henry b 1814 in 1851 a Draper of Chapel Fold died 1888 of Stanley Villa and Accraplatts, Malham PARTNER Martha Walton ( Dtr of William & Sarah Walton of Waterside) see Walton pedigree in separate posting:**
Son William b 1817 in 1851 a Draper of Waterside in 1861/71 he was a Draper of Chapel Fold, Colne Lane died 1876 = Ann Sunderland b 1819/20 Dtr of Henry & Amelia Sunderland who owned much property in Colne***
Dtr Margaret b 1826 in 1841 a Milliner 1851 a Draper, 1888 was a widow of Chapel Fold, 1890 of Stanley Villa and Accraplatts d 1890 = Smith
Dtr Jane b 1828 not in 1851 census
Dtr Mary Ann b1830 died 1903 at Stanley Villa = William May of Leeds b 1824 d 1893 at Stanley Villa, a Commission Agent , executor of will of Henry Pickles
Dtr Sarah b 1832 in 1861 living with brother Henry and sister Mary Ann. Not mentioned in Henry’s will 1888 so presumed dead at this time.
** Henry Pickles & PARTNER Martha Walton had:
Son William Walton b 1833 see Walton pedigree
Son John Walton b 1837 in 1841/51/61 lived with mother, Martha. In 1888 was an Innkeeper of Altham = Margaret Baldwin of Burnley: They had:
Son William Pickles Walton b 1877 at Bowling Green Hotel, Burnley. Removed to Walton Arms at Altham a few weeks after his birth = Rhoda Brennand****
*** William Walton = Ann Sunderland had:
Son Joseph Henry b 1854 Draper & Hatter of Highfield died 1896 at The Limes, Southport = Ann Cragg Parkinson in 1898 was at 29 Keighley Road, Colne, widow. 1934 at Stanley Villa. Dtr of Stephen Parkinson of Colne, Drysalter and Elizabeth Cragg. Ann’s brothe was Henry Barrowclough Parkinson, he was of Blakey Hall in 1886, a cotton and worsted manufacturer, was at Iveson House, Harrogate May 1934 and December 1934 a Gentleman of Longthorpe, Boroughbridge,died 1936. His Dtr was Elaine Mary and her son was Peter Harry Barrowclough Parkinson Green of Greenholme, Langthorpe. Joseph Henry Pickles = Ann Cragg Parkinson had:
Dtr Margaret Mary b 1879, died Toronto 1966 = Thomas Alred, they had dtr Elizabeth Aleen
Dtr Gertrude b 1886 died Stanley Villa 1945
**** William Pickles Walton = Rhoda Brennand had:
Dtr Sarah Walton = Harold Ashworth*****
Son John Harry
Dtr Constance Baldwin
***** Sarah Walton = Harold Ashworth had:
Dtr Kathleen Margaret = Leslie Clifford: they had: Son Simon -Dtr Linda - Dtr Helen
Son Keith Ashworth = Geraldine Haworth: They had Son Ian - Son Jeremy - Daughter Sarah